Sep 12, 2006

LOW FIDELITY

This blog posting has a recommendation and a warning all wrapped up in one. I am not responsible how you use this information, but please use your best judgment.

I just read Nick Hornby's book entitled High Fidelity (1995), a witty, poignant story about a London record store owner who defines his pathetic life through Top 5 music lists. He starts off the book by listing his "Top 5 Most Memorable Split-ups", and then attempts to catch up with those 5 women who broke his heart. It's very well written, with great observations about both relationships and music. You may have seen the excellent movie adaptation from 2000 starring John Cusack and Jack Black, the former playing the store owner, and the latter at his most endearing and least annoying. I even liked Iben Hjejle as his current ex-grilfriend Laura, but it looks like this was her only American film (she's one of those Denmarkians).

Now, this is where the warning comes in. Someone in their infinite wisdom thought it would be a good idea to make this into a Broadway play. I don't know how this happened. I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of musicals to begin with (especially those not named SPAMALOT). However, the songs on the official website are among the worst I've ever heard. To say they sound like Mentos commercials would be an insult to the Freshmaker. Just listen for yourself. This might be a worse idea than taking his book Fever Pitch, by all accounts an excellent book about English football fanatics, and turning it into an insufferable Red Sox movie starring Jimmy Fallon.

Oh my god, those somgs are so bloody awful. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little, and I really could use some of those Mentos.

All I can say is if you see this play, buy the book and/or rent the DVD, you'll only be encouraging Nick Hornsby and his evil henchmen. Go to the library and get the book or the movie for FREE, if you absolutely must. Hopefully, this will all blow over before too long. Together, we can get through this nightmare.

Oh, and one last thing. My Top Five Elvis Costello Songs:

1. Alison
2. I Want You (Album Version)
3. No Action
4. Uncomplicated
5. Green Shirt

Notice that the song "High Fidelity" is not on there. Thank you.

No comments: