Jan 4, 2007

ME ON U2 BY U2

I just wanted to mention that the coffee table book, U2 by U2 (which I got for Christmas) is a fascinating historical account of the band. Weighing in at 352 pages, this has hundreds of excellent photos and interesting commentary by their four members. They come off as pretty humble, and surprisingly insecure about their own success. And I found this fun fact: Adam Clayton, during a 1994 hiatus before making the POP album, decided to work on his technique by reading "Bass Guitar For Dummies". No, that's not a joke.

However, the book can never be complete since U2 is still planning on recording more stuff. In fact, Bono wants to "take things to the next level" . . . whatever that means. I yawn when I hear the past two albums, so a change would be good for them. I for one was intrigued by the POP/Passengers phase of their career, but I don't see them experimenting THAT much at this stage in the game.