Jan 8, 2007

HAPPY 60TH BIRTHDAY BOWIE!

David Bowie turned 60 today. I actually went to his 50th birthday bash in MSG, which I can't believe was 10 years ago. I'm more a fan of his 70s and early 80s work, and not as familiar with his latest stuff (that's not to say it's bad, it's just that I've only sporadically listened to it). Whether or not you're actually into his music, you can't deny that he's been a consistently interesting singer, songwriter, actor, and an overall fantastic performer. Of course, he also paved the way for androgynous performers across the globe, for better or worse.

On this occasion, I present the 1984 short film Jazzin' For Blue Jean. A promo for his less than spectacular Tonight album and "Blue Jean" single. Directed by Julien Temple, Bowie plays both pampered rock star Screamin' Lord Byron (self-parody, no doubt) and a fan trying to sneak into his show to impress a date. Very funny stuff.

He also recently guest starred in an incredibly funny episode of Ricky Gervais' Extras, which was already on BBC and is due to play on HBO this month.

PART I - JAZZIN' FOR BLUE JEAN


PART II - JAZZIN' FOR BLUE JEAN

No comments: