Oct 9, 2006

TOWER COLLAPSES UNDER ITS OWN WEIGHT

Tower Records, who declared bankruptcy two years ago and tried to make a comeback, is finally going out of business for good and selling off all their merchandise. Honestly, this chain was great was about 20 years ago, and when I was still buying records I would routinely make pilgrimages to the 4th & Broadway store, and during college to buy cassettes and CDs at the Philly South Street branch. I can't even tell you how many yellow and red bags I've ended up with over the years.

However I can't say I've purchased anything from them in quite some time, because they've ALWAYS been overpriced; if your non-sale CDs are consistently priced at $18.99 and up it's only a matter of time before you go under. The only thing I can say for them is that they always had the widest selection of CDs, which made all the difference when you were looking for that obscure import pressing or a rare single.

It's just as well since no one collects records anymore, or even calls them "records" anymore. Now I have to go check out the Nanuet store to see what they have left . . .

1 comment:

Jeff K said...

UPDATE: I went to the Nanuet store yesterday, and they have every CD in the store discounted . . . 10%! You've got to do better than that, guys. I can go to Amazon.com and get the new Black Keys Magic Potion for a total of $12.99 (free shipping w/ $25 purchase), while Tower has it for $18.50 (which includes discount and tax).

This is why you're going out of business.