Jul 13, 2007

DON'T MAKE ME SHOP AT TARGET

DON'T MAKE ME SHOP AT TARGET!

I was shocked to see both Spoon and Interpol's new discs being featured in the weekly ad for Target. Shocked AND stunned. But there they were, right next to T.I., Fabolous [sic] and "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" DVD. I've seen these two bands play live (twice each, thank you very much, ha ha) so they've definitely earned my praise, but now they're rocking TARGET? Unable to resist the great bargains, I ended up going there on Wednesday during lunch to pick them up. However, I had to fight for a parking space at the mall with all the dirty Muggles taking their annoying Mugglespawn in to see "Harry Potter and the Magical Money Machine". That being said, buying a copy of "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" (with a throwaway bonus CD "Get Nice!" that you will listen to only once) is the best $7.98 you will ever spend. Also, a 12 pack of Kleenex Cottonelle Toilet Paper with Aloe is totally worth the price, especially if you hate chafing as much as me.

I also considered buying the new Smashing Pumpkins Zeitgeist, after hearing a few good songs and despite reading mostly "meh" reviews. But I was confused as to "which" album I was getting, as there are several different versions: iTunes, Best Buy, Target, and other, all have DIFFERENT TRACK LISTINGS. What is that all about? So I ended up not buying it, because I don't want anyone to see my CD and scoff at me, "Ohhhh, you got the TARGET one. That one is for idiots that go to the store to buy deodorant and end up with a CD as an afterthought."

However, one of the reviews I read directed me to this live clip of "United States" . . . and I'm reconsidering my decision.



Sweet Holy Jebus, Jimmy Chamberlain's drumming sounds simply fantastic. Billy's scream near the end gave me goosebumps. This certainly is a classic Pumpkins track. But where does Billy find these hot bassists? Do they clone them in a lab somewhere? If they play a big show in these parts somewhere, I might have to go see them . . .

Smashing Pumpkins "United States" (Live @ Rock Am Ring, Nuremberg, Germany, June 2007) [YouTube]

No comments: