Nov 29, 2006

TOM WAITS NEWS: THE DAILY SHOW AND MORE!

Tom Waits - Photo by Amanda PetrusichI'm sure everyone has seen The Daily Show but me, but for some reason a video clip of his performance isn't up on CC's oh-so-wittily named MotherLoad (ha ha, I get it!!!). I'll have to watch it tonight on the 8PM rerun.

Meanwhile, here's a great Mr. Waits interview on Pitchfork. You know, for every 10 things I hate about them, they manage to come with 1 or 2 good ones.

This book also looks interesting, in case you need to get me another Xmas gift: "Innocent When You Dream: The Tom Waits Reader" (edited by Mac Montandon), which is a compendium of interviews from 1974-2004.

TW will also be starring in a movie called Wristcutters: A Love Story, about people who attempted suicide. Sounds like another lighthearted romp for Mr. Waits, to rival Mystery Men! The official MySpace info site is here.

Orphans is also available on Emusic.com. Hmmm, I'll have to download it (at least the first two discs worth).

1 comment:

Jeff K said...

BTW, I find it comical that all of the sudden it's become fashionable to be a Tom Waits fan. I've been listening to him since college (maybe 15 years or so), and I've never heard anyone talk about him in the media. And now suddenly he's on every talk show, and being called a "musical legend"? Where were these people for the last 20 albums? Jon Stewart kissing his ass the other night was just about as much as I could take. Reminds me of Bob Dylan's "Love and Theft" comeback-album-ass-kiss-a-thon a few years back. Is the reason because every other artist comes off as fake, merely a carefully marketed musical product, and Tom is one of the last living antitheses of that? Is everyone trying to "outcool" each other? Regardless, it's pretty interesting but it will make getting tickets for one of his upcoming concerts (if it happens) nearly impossible. (Thanks, Jon!)